Maybe it’s just the looming feeling that the bar is imparting to my life these days, but I feel a little compelled to pump up the “human” part of my life. It doesn’t need to be swallowed by the law. Well, it kind of does for the next month, but after that, I want to reach for more balance.
I’ve never made a list like this before, but I don’t believe in waiting until January 1st to start a new life practice anyway. So, here is a list of things I’d like to accomplish before the earth gets a chance to rotate again…
1. Pass the California Bar Exam the first time around. (I guess this one is obvious, but it’s earned the number one slot for this rotation).
2. Go to ballet class at least once a week.
3. Actually make it past barre consistently.
4. Become more re-attuned to my body, eating, and fitness plans so that I feel like I have my dancer body back instead of this more athletic situation.
5. Do one pull-up. (What? I like contradictions.)
6. Post at least twice a week on this blog.
7. Move the blog to a hosted site and actually configure the design in a way that looks somewhat professional.
8. Go to Spain.
9. Attend the first ever annual FriendFest! (I am embarrassingly excited about this one).
10. Buy a bar cart for our new apartment and stock it with everything so that I can make any guest any cocktail upon request.
11. Have a living space that feels like it reflects us and the things (and people) we love.
12. Use the Rosetta Stone and become somewhat conversational in Spanish.
13. Speak to all my closest friends once a week. (In person or on the phone, ideally.)
14. Institute a girl-only night so that I see my (local) female friends on a weekly basis. (I’m thinking a standing brunch date sounds like a really good idea…)
15. Paint something good enough to hang in our apartment. (I used to love to paint before high school, and just totally let it go.)
16. Go to New Orleans.
17. Read at least two books a month.
18. Buy fresh flowers for our apartment every week (or so), and arrange them in all the rooms. (Such an inexpensive and fast way to make sure you wake up every morning and are greeted with beauty).
19. See my family at least every other week.
20. Talk to Dan at least once a week.
21. Go on a real, get dressed up, wear perfume and meet at the restaurant date once a week. (With M). (Obviously).
22. Have a perfume wardrobe. (Scent has always been my most immediate and important sensory impression, and I’ve always felt like my mood can be changed immediately by a spritz of a different perfume. I love it, and yet it’s something I never buy for myself.)
23. Have an edited, adult wardrobe that’s stocked enough that getting dressed for work every morning, for brunch with friends and for dates with M are not sources of stress (and hopefully even fun).
24. Have an operational budget.
25. Pick a cause in which I feel invested, and start offering my time and money.
26. Learn to make at least ten totally new paleo dishes.
27. Take a weekend trip somewhere with just my female friends.
27 1/2. Be a delightful human being as often as possible.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions/substitutions?